WBCS 2017 Examination Details, Application From, Syllabus
Every year lacs of young aspirant from across the country, especially from Bengal, eagerly waits for the notification of their dream job. Oh yes, we are talking about the dream prestigious job of west Bengal civil service (WBCS). Recently Public service commission of west Bengal has announced the notification for west Bengal civil service exam 2017 (WBCS 2017).
In accordance with the State Services Recruitment Rules, the Public Service Commission, West Bengal will hold the West Bengal Civil Service (Exe) etc. Examination, 2017 on the results of which recruitment to the West Bengal Civil Service (Exe.) and certain other services and posts will be made. The rules of the examination and other particulars are stated in the following Article.
WBSC 2017 Eligibility Criteria
To appear for the west Bengal civil service examination one should have all these important eligibility criteria. A candidate should verify from the notified rules that he/she is eligible for admission to the examination. Keep in mind that the conditions prescribed cannot be relaxed.
- A degree from a recognized University.
- Ability to read, write and speak in Bengali (not required for those candidates whose mother tongue is Nepali).
- Not below 21 years but not more than 32 years on the 1st January of the year of examination for services and posts.
- For the West Bengal Police Service only (i.e. Group “B” Service) age not below 20 years but not more than 32 years on the 1st January of the year of examination.
- The candidate must have good health and character and suitability in all respects for appointment to Government service.
- Concession in age: – The upper age relaxation for S.C., S.T. candidates of West Bengal is of 5 years and by 3 years for O.B.C. candidates. In the case of Persons with Disabilities (PWD), the age relaxation is up to 45 years. Do keep in mind that the S.C./S.T./O.B.C. candidates of other States shall be treated as general candidates.
- The candidate must be
- A citizen of India, or
- A subject of Nepal, or
- A subject of Bhutan, or
- A Tibetan refugee who came over to India before the 1st January 1962, with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia or Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Exam and selection pattern
The West Bengal Civil Service (Exe.) etc Examination will be held in some successive stages, viz., Preliminary examination, Main Examination, Personality Test and Medical Fitness.
(A) Preliminary examination (Objective Type):
The Preliminary Examination will consist of only one paper, viz., a paper on General Studies. The paper will be of an objective type consisting of 200 multiple-choice questions, each carrying one mark. The total time duration will be of 2½ hours. The standard of the paper will be of the level of knowledge as expected of a graduate of any faculty of a recognized University. The paper will include questions covering the following fields of knowledge.
|Current events of National & International Importance 2||25|
|History of India||25|
|Geography of India with special reference to West Bengal||25|
|Indian Polity and Economy||25|
|Indian National Movement||25|
|General Mental Ability||25|
(B) Main Examination (Conventional Type-Written)
The Main Examination will consist of six Compulsory papers and one optional subject to be chosen by the candidates from the list of optional subjects given below. There will be two papers of the optional subject of 200 marks each. Each paper, Compulsory or Optional, will carry 200 marks and will be of 3 hours duration.
Out of six compulsory papers four papers i.e. (I) General Studies- I, (ii) General Studies- II, (iii) The Constitution of India and Indian Economy including role and functions of Reserve Bank of India and (iv) arithmetic and Test of Reasoning will be of MCQ Type to be answered in OMR answer sheets. Remaining two compulsory papers i.e. Paper– I and Paper – II will be of conventional typewritten examinations.
List of Compulsory Papers:
- Paper I: – Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Nepali/Santali – Letter writing (within 150 words) / Drafting of Report (within 200 words), Précis Writing, Composition and Translation from English to Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Nepali/Santali
- Paper II: English – Letter writing (within 150 words) / Drafting of Report (within 200 words), Précis Writing, Composition and Translation from Bengali/Hindi/Urdu/Nepali/Santali to English
- Paper III: General Studies-I: Indian History with special emphasis on National Movement and (ii) Geography of India with special reference to West Bengal.
- Paper IV: General Studies-II: Science and Scientific & Technological advancement, Environment, General Knowledge and Current Affairs.
- Paper V: The Constitution of India and Indian Economy including role and functions of Reserve Bank of India.
- Paper VI: Arithmetic and Test of Reasoning.
(C) Personality Test:
Candidates on the basis of their results in the Preliminary Examination will be allowed admission to the Main Examination and based on the marks you scored in Main Exam, you will be allowed to the personality test. Every year a number of candidates selected in order of merit on the results of the Main Examination for all the services and posts included in Groups A, B, C and D will have to appear for a Personality Test. Each candidate will be asked questions on matters of general interest. The object of the test will be to assess the candidate‘s personal qualities e.g., alertness of mind, the power of clear and logical exposition, intellectual and moral integrity, leadership and also the candidate‘s range of interests.
(iv) Medical Examination
Candidates who will be selected for appointment will be required to appear before a Medical Board for certificates of their fitness for Government service in the form prescribed for the purpose.
Post Offered by WBCS with Their Pay Scale
As per the notification, The W.B.C.S. (Exe.) etc Examination is to be treated as a combined Competitive Examination for all the four groups of services and posts as detailed below.
- West Bengal Civil Service (Executive) : ( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-
- West Bengal Commercial Tax Service : ( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-
- West Bengal Agricultural Income-tax Service : ( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-
- West Bengal Excise Service: ( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-
- West Bengal Co-operative Service : ( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-
- West Bengal labour Service : ( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-
- West Bengal Food and Supplies Service: ( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-
- West Bengal Employment Service [Except the post of Employment Officer (Technical)]: ( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-)
- West Bengal Registration and Stamp Revenue Service: ( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-
- West Bengal Police Service: ( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 5,400/-
- Joint Block Development Officer : ( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 4,700/-
- Deputy Assistant Director of Consumer Affairs and Fair Business Practices: ( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 4,700/-
- West Bengal Junior Social Welfare Service: ( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 4,700/-
- Assistant Canal Revenue Officer (Irrigation) : ( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 4,400/-
- West Bengal Subordinate Land Revenue Service, Grade-I: ( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 4,700/-
- Assistant Commercial Tax Officer : ( PB-4) Rs.9, 000/- to 40,500/- + G.P. Rs. 4,700/-
- Chief Controller of Correctional Services : ( PB-3) Rs.7, 100/- to 37,600/- + G.P. Rs. 3,900/-
- Inspector of Co-operative Societies : ( PB-3) Rs.7, 100/- to 37,600/- + G.P. Rs. 3,900/-
- Panchayat Development Officer under the Panchayat and Rural Development Department: ( PB-3) Rs.7, 100/- to 37,600/- + G.P. Rs. 3,900/-
- Rehabilitation Officer under the Refugee Relief and Rehabilitation Department : (PB-3) Rs.7,100/- to 37,600/- + G.P. Rs. 3,900/-
Note: For all the services and posts included in the above four groups with the Pay Scale as above, allowances will also be admissible as per Government orders in force.
How to Apply for West Bengal Civil Service (WBCS) 2017 exam
A candidate whether in Government Service or not must submit his/her application in prescribed form on or before the closing date mentioned in the advertisement. Application received after the closing date shall not be accepted. The application form shall be filled in candidate’s own handwriting and signed by him/her. Should any of the statements made in the application be subsequently found to be false within the knowledge of the candidate, his/her candidature will be liable to cancellation, and even if appointed to a post on the results of this examination his/her service will be liable to be terminated. Applications not duly filled in or found incomplete or without requisite documents or defective in any respect will be liable to rejection.
There are two payment methodologies – Online Payment and Offline Payment.
- Offline Payment Mode: Candidates will get a Challan of United Bank of India (UBI) on their dashboard. On selecting the Offline Payment mode, candidates will be forwarded to their respective Dashboard from where they have to download the Challan by clicking the Challan button. Candidates can go to nearest UBI next working day 11:00 AM onwards and within closing hours of the bank to deposit the requisite fees. Initially, the application submission status in the dashboard of the candidate will be shown as Submitted. After depositing the fees in the bank, on next working day or two, the candidate will find their application submitted status as Completed.
- Online Payment mode: there will be three options for payment, viz., Credit Card, Debit Card and Net Banking. Soon after selecting the Online Payment option, candidates will be forwarded to Payment Gateway for making the payment. After successfully making the payment, candidates will be redirected to their respective Dashboard, where they will find their application submission status as Completed.
Fee For WBCS 2017 Exam
A fee of Rs.210/- (Rupees two hundred ten) only + Service Charge 1% of Examination Fee subject to a minimum of Rs.5/-Rupees Five) only for online payment through debit/credit card plus service charge as applicable as Govt. Duty or Service Charge of Rs.5/- (Rupees Five) only for Net Banking or Service Charge of Rs.20/- (Rupees Twenty) only for payment through Bank Counter (off-line payment). SC/ST candidates of West Bengal and Persons with disabilities (PWD) having the physical disability of 40% and above are not required to pay any fee. BC candidates of West Bengal are, however, required to pay a usual fee as aforesaid. NO EXEMPTION OF FEE IS AVAILABLE TO SC/ST/BC CANDIDATES OF OTHER STATES. No claim for refund of the fee will be entertained nor will it be held in reserve for any other examination.
Important Dates For WBCS 2017 EXAM
|Commencement of submission of online application:||The 4th November 2016 from 11:30 a.m.|
|Closing date for submission of online application||The 28th November 2016 ( up to 12-00 midnight)|
|Closing date for submission of fees through online:||The 28th November 2016 (up to 12-00 midnight)|
|Closing date for submission of fees through offline:||The 29th November 2016.*|
|Date of Preliminary Examination will be||The 29th January 2017|
* However, the Challan through offline must be generated by the 28th November 2016 positively.
WBCS Helpline Numbers
For further details and assistance, the candidates may contact the following numbers on any working day from 11-00 a.m. to 4-00 p.m.
- (033) 2262-4181 [Related to Offline Payment]
- (033) 4003-5104 [Related to Online Payment]
- (033) 2419-8185 [For general information]
Public Service Commission, West Bengal.
161-A, S. P. Mukherjee Road,
Kolkata – 700 026.
Phone No. PBX- 2466-5662 (Ext. 400,452)
Let us know if something is missing in the article ! waiting for your feedback in the comment box