The National Institute of Technology (NIT Durgapur), formerly known as Regional Engineering College, Durgapur was established in the year 1960 under an Act of the Parliament of India as one of the eight such colleges, as a co-operative venture between the Government of India and the Government of West Bengal aimed to function as a pace setter for engineering education in the country and to foster national integration. It is a fully funded premier Technological Institution of the Government of India and is administered by an autonomous Board of Governors. The college was given autonomy in financial and administrative matters to achieve rapid development.
Affiliations, Reorganization, and other Achievement:
- The National Institute of Technology (NIT Durgapur) is a fully funded premier Technological Institution of the Government of India and approved by AICTE (UGC) under Ministry Of HRD.
- Ranked Among top 30 engineering colleges of India by National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) and 2nd best college of west Bengal after IIT kharagpur.
- Every year, a batch of 4 academically excellent students, who have just completed their 6th semester, selected across all departments by an internal panel are sent to CERN, Geneva, to pursue research work there.
- Professors, scientific officers and students of this institute publish many of papers in journals of international repute from publishers like IEEE, Elsevier, Springer-Verlag, Taylor & Francis etc.
- Academic integrity as well as state– of – the art classrooms, laboratories and almost 250 plus Faculty and Assistants makes the college quite promising.
Courses Offered in NIT Durgapur:
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Application
- Computer Science Engineering
- Earth and Environmental Studies
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Management Studies
- Separate hostels for boys and girls, dedicated cafeteria, 24-hour power supply, transport, housekeeping and medical care. Campus also has its own Guest House to facilitate staying of parents, researchers and visiting faculty.
- Auditorium with sound and video facilities for video-conferencing and live media streaming.
- Hygienic, multi-cuisine vegetarian canteen for both resident students and day scholars.
- Provides faculty and students with bus services from all parts of the city to the Institute.
- Large playing fields and dedicated spaces for Indoor sport.
- In campus Banking Facility, Spiritual center, National Service Scheme (NSS) camp and gymnasium.
- CISCO collaborated well equipped lab for CSE department with high speed internet connectivity and 24*7 Power supply.
Faculty & staff:
NIT Durgapur, has successfully surpassed many milestones and manages to create an ambiance of academic excellence because of an array of highly qualified and experienced faculty members and special campus programs. The college has a special curriculum designed by the best of country like those are from IIM’s and IIT’s. It also has some international Tie-ups and MOU’s signed with Business giants like IEEE, Cisco and Universities like Caledonian College of Engineering, Muscat, Oman. Faculties and staffs here are specially trained to monitor the students’ academic progress and personal development and at the same time address important issues like time management, peer pressure and career planning through inter personal relationship (IPR’S).
For admission in NIT Durgapur, One must have to clear the JEE (MAIN) exam with flying color and must have to secure at least 75% marks (65% for SC/ST) in Class 12th exam for any recognized board of India.
There is special allotment of seats reserved for the top 20 percentile in Class 12th exam conducted by the respective board.
- B.Tech Program Rs. 2, 02,068 /- For complete course (Approx)
- M.tech program Rs Rs. 86,500/- For complete course (Approx)
- MBA program Rs. 1, 17,634 /- For complete course (Approx)
When you are @ NIT Durgapur, you need not have to worry about Placements. Since its inception in 1960, National Institute of Technology, Durgapur has tried to instill in the students the enthusiasm of the past as well as the impulse to reach beyond. With this academic excellence, the institute has expanded its horizons and now the students propel themselves to achieve great academic feats with a focus on innovation. Most of the reputed companies like Snapdeal, Microsoft etc visit the famous campus to select the best one with a whooping sum. The industries which approach the institute can be broadly categorized as:
- Core engineering industries
- Software / IT Industries
- Manufacturing Industries
- Consultancy Firms
- Management Organizations
- Management Organizations
- R & D laboratories etc
- Public Sector Undertakings
- Academic Institute
National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Mahatma Gandhi Avenue, A-Zone
Durgapur, West Bengal, India- 713209
Phone no: +91-343-2546397 (Dean)
Email: [email protected]