Books For WBCS Exam Preparation : As the notification for the West Bengal Civil Service Examination (WBCS) 2017 is just being published, aspirants are quite busy in giving their preparation the final touch. Working as a Top career counselor since last 8 years, students generally ask us questions like how to prepare for WBCS or to which book one should prefer to if he/she wants to do great in the prestigious exams like WBCS and Civil services. People say that it’s too hard to clear the exam for the very first time and one generally takes multiple attempts to clear it but if your preparation is effective and efficient then you can easily clear the cut-off in your very first attempt.
The Preliminary Examination will consist of only one paper, viz., a paper on General Studies. The paper will be of an objective type consisting of 200 multiple-choice questions, each carrying one mark. The total time duration will be of 2½ hours. The standard of the paper will be of the level of knowledge as expected of a graduate of any faculty of a recognized University. This article will help you to choose the best books with perhaps the most accurate contents material for the WBCS preliminary exam. The paper will include questions covering the following fields of knowledge.
Books For WBCS 2017 Exam Preparation :
1. General English (25 marks) – The best Book for Objective General English asked in preliminary for the new aspirants is the one by S.P Bakshi (Arihant publication).For Comprehension you may take the help from K De Sarkar. It is the best book on comprehension one can ever get for WBCS and other exams like Civil Services or other State level Services.
2. Current affairs (25 marks) – If you want to do great in the preliminary exam then no doubt current affairs can really help you to score good marks in short interval of time. You need not have to be a geek to mug up all the latest news and affairs, just keep updating yourself. Magazines like ‘Pratiyogita Darpan’, ‘competition success review (CSR)’, ‘Yojna’ etc will help you to understand latest buzz in most lucid manner. Apart from that reading newspaper like ‘The Hindu’, Telegraph etc will help you in English vocabulary and will also improve your general awareness.
3. General Mental ability (25 marks) – To get the best score in Quantitative aptitude and Reasoning you can take the help from books by R.S Agarwal.
4. Indian Polity & Economy (25 marks) – if you want to score great in Indian Polity and Economic then you must have to go through your NCERT. Apart from that Indian Polity by Laxmikanth and Indian Economics by Ramesh Singh (Indian Economy) can be a great option for you guys.
5. General Science (25 marks) – for general science you don’t have to go anywhere just revise your basics of Physics, Chemistry, and Biology from the NCERT books. Apart from that, you may also take help from magazines like Chronicle science book and books by Tara Chand.
6. Indian History (25 marks)- Candidate appearing for preliminary exam, Indian history and struggle movement can be best explained by the books written by Bipin Chandra.You can also take help from your class VI to class XII ncert text books for in depth knowledge. Books by Arihant publication can give you the best results.
7. Indian National Movement (25 marks) – To understand Indian national movement and contribution of our great freedom fighters, I would personally suggest you go through your ncert text books. You can take reference from India’s Struggle for Independence and History of Modern India by Bipin Chandra.
8. Geography (25 marks) – For geography go back to your class VI to class XII ncert text books to build basic concept. Reading Geography of India by Majid Husain is strongly recommended. For special attention on Bengal Geography you can read any reference book of west Bengal secondary standard. A good command over atlas like by Orient Longman /Oxford can help you to fetch some extra marks.
Best of Luck Aspirants !